Home | Contact Us | Sitemap | Call us: 858-467-4750
English (United Kingdom)
Press Room Press Kit Fact Sheet

RMHC-SD Fact Sheet

Ronald McDonald House Charities of San Diego, Inc.

Mission: Ronald McDonald House Charities® of San Diego provides a home-away-from-home for families with a hospitalized child being treated for a serious, often life-threatening illness or injury, at a local hospital.

Global Family: In 1974, Philadelphia Eagles football player, Fred Hill, had a daughter who was diagnosed with leukemia. After spending countless hours in the hospital during her treatment, he saw a need for a home where families could find lodging and support while their children were being treated in the hospital. He drew the support of McDonald’s Founder, Ray Kroc, who gained the support of others, and the first Ronald McDonald House was born.

Since then, Ronald McDonald House Charities has grown into a global network of care and concern. There are RMHC chapters in 52 countries, operating 300 Ronald McDonald Houses in 30 countries (171 in the U.S.), 153 Ronald McDonald Family Rooms® in 17 countries (81 in the U.S.), and 39 Ronald McDonald Care Mobiles® in 6 countries (35 in the U.S.).

San Diego: Since opening our first House on Berger Avenue on December 16, 1980, Ronald McDonald House Charities of San Diego has provided a “home-away-from-home” for more than 14,000 families and provided more than 140,000 nights of lodging. We were the 20th Ronald McDonald House to open in the system.

On July 7, 2009, families were welcomed to the new Ronald McDonald House, located at 2929 Children’s Way, across the street from the entrance to Rady Children’s Hospital. The new 65,000 square foot House has more bedrooms – 47 compared to 12 in our other House -- and a new Family Care Center that helps make life easier for families during the day.

Our Family Care Center serves as a day resource for families with seriously-ill or injured children, providing necessities to make their lives easier as they go through a very challenging time. These resources include dining services, a computer lab, children’s playroom, game room, chapel, exercise room, TV room, nap room, laundry facilities, and a beauty salon. We count on the support of our community to help operate the San Diego Ronald McDonald House and secure its future. 

Operations: Ronald McDonald House Charities of San Diego provides services to families 365 days a year, seven days a week, 24 hours each day, as well as offering a wide variety of special events and seasonal programs.

Funding: Ronald McDonald House Charities of San Diego receives support from individuals, foundations and corporate donors. The organization receives approximately 10 percent of its operating costs from the generosity of owner/operators of local McDonald’s restaurants.The remaining 90 percent of its funding comes from the community.

Board Structure: Ronald McDonald House Charities of San Diego is governed by a local board of trustees comprised of members of the medical community, business and civic leaders, parent/volunteers, and McDonald’s representatives.

Volunteer Opportunities: Many volunteer opportunities exist to help with day-to-day operations at the House or in our administrative office. Additional opportunities are available on a one-time or occasional basis, such as serving dinners at the House, collecting donations on Red Shoe Day, participating in food drives, or taking part in our Pennies with a Purpose program.

Our Location:

Ronald McDonald House Charities of San Diego
2929 Children’s Way San Diego, CA 92123

(858) 467-4750 Office *  (858) 467-4757 Fax

General Email: rmhcsd@rmhcsd.org

Website: www.rmhcsd.org